I personally like the surgical option better. I'm afraid of the radiation. Also, I have read that the pill (RAI) can increase eye problems. I have had very itchy eyes in the past and I feel like they get puffy at times so therefore another reason why I prefer the surgical option. There are pros and cons with all 3 options (Rx, RAI, surgery) so informing ourselves on all three is a plus. Our Drs. have their reasons as to why they prefer one option over the other so ask your Dr. why he/she prefers surgery over RAI and medication (methimazole, tapazole, etc). My Dr. seems to like RAI because, as you stated, it is easier in some regards. At the end it is you and your Dr. together who will need to make the decision.
I'm still learning so I'm hoping that someone more knowledgeable than me will come in soon and give you more input.
I'm on Methimazole at the moment in hopes that I can achieve remission at some point in the future. So far Methimazole seems to be working. If Methimazole doesn't work for some reason as we move forward, I would like to go with surgery.
Wish you the best with your decision and treatment.
~ Fellow GD patient diagnosed June 2012 with a non-existent TSH, elevated fT3 and fT4, and a TSI of 4.5. On Methimazole 30mg/day for the first 8 weeks. On Methimazole 10mg/day for the next 6 weeks. On Methimazole 5mg/day for a week and a half. On Methimazole 5mg every 4 days for a month. On Methimazole 2.5mg/day starting Nov 15. Current labs show a normal fT4, a normal TSH, and a TSI of 3.2. Diet: Gluten and yeast free. Love to read and learn. Very interested in the immune part of GD ~
Edited Carito71 (Sept. 27, 2012 14:37:15)