Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 Aug. 4, 2016 13:03:47

bigad

Share your Success Story!

Thanks for sharing Carrie- sounds like a fantastic diet and fitness plan.

James

#2 Aug. 5, 2016 10:19:11

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your success story, Carrie! Just a reminder for our other members to check with your own doc before adding any particular supplements to your own regimen. Some can be toxic in large doses, and others can interact with specific medications.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

#3 Jan. 3, 2017 14:10:41

mimi2point0

Hi there! Just wanted to share my success story which I hope helps you in your journey.

I was diagnosed back in July 2015. My doctor told me that my case was severe and that my chances of remission were very slim. When I was diagnosed I was on the brink of a thyroid storm. I weighed 118 lbs., (down from 130) lost a lot of hair. Didn't sleep for about a month, had the worst hot flashes, and would find myself sitting in my car at 2 in the morning with the air conditioning in full blast. My heart rate was so fast and uncontrollable, that I honestly felt like I was going to die. Thankfully I did not have TED symptoms.

After I started Methimozole, it took about a couple of weeks to start feeling a bit normal again. I did not have a pleasant reaction, as the medicine caused me to feel extremely itchy, but it went away after a couple of weeks, and splitting the dose also helped as well. By December, I was totally within range and opted for RAI in January.

This was a very tough decision for me, but I felt like it was the right choice for me. On January 5th, it'll be one year since RAI and I'm totally within all my ranges!

I exercise, do yoga, teach meditation, and regained my muscular build. The recovery was slow, but I did it! I did not gain weight, have no TED symptoms and I feel stronger than I ever did before!

I thank Graves for teaching me a very important lesson, and that's not to take ANYTHING FOR GRANTED! Although it was a difficult one, I would not change this journey for anything. It made me so much stronger and appreciative of the little things in life! Because of it I became a yoga teacher and I'm now pursuing a more spiritual path.

I wish all of you much luck and success. Just be patient. This too shall pass. To quote my favorite author, “And once the storm is over, you won't remember how you made it through. . . you won't be the same person who walked in. That's what this storm is all about.” - Haruki Murakami

Diagnosed Aug 2015<br/>Methimazole Aug 20mg<br/>Methimazole Oct 10 mg<br/>RAI January 5, 2016<br/>Follow my journey:<a href="http://www.ihavegraves.com [ihavegraves.com]"> IHaveGraves.com</a>

#4 Jan. 4, 2017 08:13:16

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Thanks for sharing your story! We had a presentation at our Boston conference in 2011 from a yoga instructor who felt that her practice was a great addition to conventional medical treatment as she went through the healing process.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

#5 Jan. 7, 2017 13:18:15

jtaps123

That is great! I did RAI back in August 2016 and haven't felt normal since because we haven't found the right dose for me yet. It's been really rough and I just tell myself everyday that everything will get better. Are you taking any medication or any supplements at all? Thank you.

#6 Sept. 30, 2017 19:38:04

flora

Hello Everyone,

It hasn't been easy, and my journey surely hasn't been short, but I too have wrestled this Graves thing to the ground - at last. As many of my Forum Friends know, I was diagnosed in March 2013, several stressful months after three very difficult life events happened, and all at the same time. During this devastating time, I struggled with Graves, and I believe my struggle was made harder and took longer to overcome, because of all that was happening. I mention this, so that anyone who has chosen ATD as treatment will not be discouraged by the length of time it has taken me to post my success story here. Many (most?) who choose this route recover much faster, as you will read in other posts under this thread - one ATD patient was running half-marathons again, after just a year.

Condensing my journey, with caring and supportive doctors, I spent three years on Tapazole trying to find my “just right” dose. Being sensitive to dose changes, I would feel pretty miserable after each one for the better part of a month, and even then, my most aggravating symptoms (that feeling of disconnection, the blues, plus musclo-skeletal/proximal muscle pain and stiffness) just wouldn't let up. Sometime during the third year of chasing my Goldilocks Dose, we noticed that I seemed to be slipping hypO, which then meant a gradual process of tapering off Tapazole. (This may not happen happen to many ATD'ers, just not sure…) Once off Tapazole, and for about six months after, I was medication-free, in hopes that my thyroid function would keep me in normal ranges. But I had crossed over into hypO territory for sure, and in July last year, we began a low dose of my new best friend Synthroid. I say “new best friend”, because after one year of trying various doses, we have found my own just-right levels. And I feel fantastic - cheerful, happy-go-lucky again, and those pesky musclo-skeletal/proximal muscle pain and stiffness? they're gone!

Yes, it was a long, long haul on the ATD trail for me, and yes, it took all the patience I could muster along the way. But, “I'm there” at last!

I'll close with a heartfelt Thank You to Kimberly and to so many others here, for all their knowledge, encouragement and support, as well as with my wish for everyone, that no matter which treatment path you choose, you will find your very own sweet spot very soon, too - and lasting peace, health and happiness after that. It does happen.

- Forum Friend flora

… there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

Edited flora (Oct. 14, 2017 19:41:20)

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at info@ngdf.org or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2017 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation