Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 Oct. 8, 2017 12:21:14

emmtee

Question regarding Endo visits since TT

Sue's last question got me thinking of a question of my own. For any of you who have had a thyroidectomy… When you visit your endocrinologist, does he/she still examine your neck? Mine did at my last visit, and she told me that she will continue to do so because it's possible for thyroid tissue to grow back, and more likely for it to happen in patients who were hyperthyroid.

I'm wondering if this is normal or if she's doing this for me in particular because I had such a large nodule that was suspicious for cancer. It was benign, but it was a type of tumor that was encapsulated and is only considered malignant if the cells escape the capsule. The pathologists couldn't find any that escaped, but with such a large tumor, my surgeon was a little concerned that something might have been missed and she wants me to have annual blood tests for a cancer marker anyway.

#2 Oct. 8, 2017 13:58:06

Liz1967

My endo was a bit clueless sometimes. Once she was feeling my neck and admitted she forgot I had had a TT! I have a nearly invisible scar. I see my internist's nurse practitioner for labs. I really really do not anticipate my thyroid growing back! My surgeon was as meticulous for my Graves as he is for his thyroid cancer patients in getting all the tissue out. If residual thyroid tissue is a concern, I would think they would be doing an office ultrasound. Your internist will do neck palpation checking for enlarged lymph glands or things like lymphoma, nothing to do with thyroid.

#3 Oct. 11, 2017 19:45:16

emmtee

LOL! I'm quite sure my endo will never forget that I've had a TT. My case was quite memorable due to the size of my nodule. My surgeon actually gave me photos of my thyroid, and I'm confident that she got every bit of tissue that she possibly could. At the time we were all expecting the pathologist to find cancer, and the benign findings were quite a surprise.

I see my endo again in a couple of weeks. :-)

• Root
  • » GDATF
  • » Question regarding Endo visits since TT [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at info@ngdf.org or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2017 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation