Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 April 22, 2012 10:47:16

Online Facilitator
Registered: 2008-10-14
Posts: 4195

Looking for a Doctor?

Looking for a doctor? The resources below will hopefully be of assistance…

Note: This thread is closed, and does not have a reply button showing. To start a brand new topic, click the “New Topic” button, which is located on the top left-hand side of the screen, just above the announcements.

(Additional note on links: if you click directly on the following links, you will need to use your browser's “back” button to return to the forum after viewing. As an alternative, you can right-click the link and open it in a new tab or new window).


American Thyroid Association

On the ATA site, click “Patients” at the top of the screen. Select “Find a Thyroid Specialist” box towards the bottom center of the screen (you might need to scroll down slightly to see it).

American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists

On the AACE site, go to the “Find an Endocrinologist” box on the right-hand side of the screen. (You will probably have to scroll down a bit to see it). Be sure to select “thyroid dysfunction” in the “Endocrine Focus” section.

The Hormone Health Network

On the Hormone Foundation site, the “Find an Endocrinologist” options is on the right-hand side of the screen; you will probably have to scroll down a bit to see it.

There has been an unfortunate trend in recent months of chiropractors claiming to practice “functional endocrinology”. Many patients have literally paid thousands of dollars for treatment, believing that these practitioners are endocrinologists, when they are not. This was one of the more publicized cases: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28731977/detail.html

Not sure about a particular doctor? The American Board of Medical Specialties certifies doctors in various specialities; you can check on a doctor at www.abms.org to see if they are board certified in endocrinology. (Registration is required, but it’s free). Your own state’s Medical Board can also provide information regarding licensing status.

Eye Surgeons:

A good source for connecting with eye doctors is www.asoprs.org. The “Find a Surgeon” option is on the blue header towards the top of the screen. This organization is the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, and these doctors are usually more familiar with Graves' complications than other eye docs. You can search by city, state, or zip code.

Endocrine Surgeons:

The American Association of Endocrine Surgeons has a great patient education site that also includes a “Find An Experienced Surgeon” option, which is located at the bottom of the page. http://www.endocrinediseases.org/

GDATF Physician Registry:

The GDATF has also just launched a physician registry of specialists (endocrinologists, ophthalmologists, endocrine surgeons) who have told us they have particular expertise in Graves’. To access the registry, go to the home page at www.gdatf.org and click on “physician registry” in the box on the top right-hand side of the screen. (Registration is required, but it is free; if you are already a regular forum user, your regular user ID and password will give you access to the registry). Because the registry is fairly new, we might not yet have a lot of listings in your part of the country. Also, please note that the Foundation has not had personal contact with every doctor listed on the registry; these are physicians who have reported to the GDATF that they have expertise in Graves’. If you have a great doc that you think should be included, please contact the Foundation at [email protected].

(Edited 4/24/17 to update instructions for accessing the ATA and AACE pages.)

GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

Edited Kimberly (April 24, 2017 09:46:24)


Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2020 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation