Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 Nov. 29, 2012 12:42:14

Bobbi
Online Facilitator

Joint/Muscle Pain - How common?

Well, numbness isn't something I experienced, but the swelling was. I would suggest that you CALL the doctor's office and explain that you think you need a blood test to see where your levels are. Some of us do start going hypo 8 weeks after RAI, and the sooner you get that stopped, the better.

We do not need to go terribly hypo before our doctor's will intervene, so don't panic. The replacement hormone, once it is prescribed, starts to work immediately.

[b:3sz1pkbe][color=#008000:3sz1pkbe]Bobbi GDF Online Facilitator[/color:3sz1pkbe][/b:3sz1pkbe]

#2 April 10, 2014 18:36:01

karengibson5074

Hello, all..

I know this post a a bit old, but was just looking through all the posts and searched for thyrotoxic myopathy and this came up. I was diagnosed with this 04/2013.

WWWI2 (and anyone else with thyrotoxic myopathy):

(1) How are you doing now?

(2) Are you feeling 100 percent better, muscle-wise?

(3) How long did it take to regain muscle strength?

I hope you are doing better by this time. Good luck to all.

#3 July 29, 2016 04:44:14

charlene

Thank you for writing!! I too have joint and muscle pain w extreme heaviness at times. I also have had tendonitis im my hands and superficial phlebitis in fingers/hands and bilateral pre tibial myxedema. I'm not sure I can always relate feeling bad to levels.

#4 Sept. 30, 2017 19:51:08

flora

Just posting here, in case any subscribers might like to read my post under “Share Your Success Story” - it describes the happy (if very long time happening!) outcome of my Joint/Muscle Pain - Gone! Hope you have found relief from this, too, and are doing well.

flora

… there was a star danced, and under that was I born.

Edited flora (Oct. 1, 2017 06:08:32)

#5 Dec. 6, 2017 09:58:20

CTquinn

Kimberly
When you are having symptoms that affect your quality of life, it's important to keep fighting until someone will help you put all the puzzle pieces together…but it's also important to keep an open mind along that journey and to leave no stone unturned in exploring *all* of the potential causes.

If you find research from a credible source that seems to fit the symptoms you are having, definitely bring this to your own doctors' attention.

THIS. THIS is why I am the b**ch mom who always questions every doctor, even getting angry with them. My son can't fight for himself yet (he turns 6 in 2 weeks), and he's been complaining about pain since the summer. Why, WHY do i have to fight with the doctors AND the disease AND my tantrum-prone son (which, I know, is just the Graves, not my sweet and loving boy)

I am thankful that my son doesn't have to advocate AND fight the disease – he's got built in support with his parents. BUT, it's hard to advocate when I don't really know what he's feeling, and he doesn't always know how to describe it. Yet i KNOW he's got joint pain, chest pain, throat pain, headaches, etc….

His quality of life is affected already. I hate this disease.

Son diagnosed November 2017, though his eyes have been bulging since June 2017.
Son was diagnosed at age 5, almost 6.
Seattle area
Hyper/Graves with Graves' eyes/TED

#6 Dec. 6, 2017 10:11:49

CTquinn

What does joint pain feel like exactly? My son has graves, and he's 6, and I'm sure he has pain. He describes it sometimes very well (“my arm hurts here”) and sometimes very vaguely (“i don't like how my hip feels”)

I want to know what he's going thru. I want to know how it feels, so I can help him recognize the signs.

He doesn't take ibuprofen for pain, but doctor said tylenol was ok. I read about the tonic water. I'm willing to try anything for him.

I've never had joint pain, so I don't understand, but I need to understand in order to take care of him.
The doctor's last orders were “if he feels any racing heart or pain, let us know.” ummmm… he feels that EVERY DAY! so, should I call them EVERY DAY? …..

So glad to have found this site.

Son diagnosed November 2017, though his eyes have been bulging since June 2017.
Son was diagnosed at age 5, almost 6.
Seattle area
Hyper/Graves with Graves' eyes/TED

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2017 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation