Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the + key as many times as necessary to increase the font size.
Hold control (command on a Mac) and press the - key to reduce the font size. - hide

#1 Dec. 29, 2013 14:42:46

nbark

Just for Fun - The "Off Topic" Thread!

I rescue Miniature horses and rehab them to be therapy horses. They visit nursing homes and handicapped children and the smiles are amazing, especially when they disembark from their stalls in the mini van….I mean what else would you carry your miniature horse in…they have air conditioning and Dolby surround sound…what a life. They get hugged and kissed and treated like royalty. They all own three to four sets (not pairs) of Build a Bear sneakers for those slippery floors…so it works…We started a website for Miniature Horse owners and anyone who would like to check it out here is the website www/Minicruppers.webs.com
check out the photo gallery…some really cute minis in there…just a warning, some of the before and after shots are not pretty…but the end results are great.

#2 Dec. 30, 2013 09:12:55

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

@flora - Thanks for the kind words…wishing you all the best for the New Year as well!

@nbark - What a great project!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

…through nature's inflexible grace, I'm learning to live…
– Dream Theater

#3 Jan. 25, 2014 15:26:09

npatterson
Online Facilitator

Okay! I can get into this conversation. My daughter had a turtle wander into their property. They found that it was an African Spur Thigh. They live in rural North Central Florida. They kept it for over five years. She said it weighed over 60 pounds when they gave it to someone else. I remember they used to bring it inside and put it in their garden tub on cold nights.

What I have at home are two cats. I had two sister tuxedo cats for almost 20 years. One of them developed hyperthyroidism (irritable, losing weight, losing hair and hot all the time). She had surgery, and lived for another 7-8 years. Now I have a Calico, and a long-haired yellow female tabby. The first is 12 y/o and the other is almost three. I am a sucker for all cat trinkets (t-shirts, key rings, etc).

Take care,

Nancy >(**)<

Nancy Hord Patterson, PhD
Founder, Graves' Disease Foundation
Educate~Encourage~Empower

#4 June 16, 2014 10:44:51

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Bumping to the top - this “off-topic” thread is for forum members who want to chat about pets, vacation, hobbies, etc..

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#5 Feb. 3, 2015 10:01:12

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Dug up this thread to see if the photos were still showing (they were) and figured I might as well bump it to the top for our newer members.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#6 Feb. 4, 2015 08:56:04

barbra

Hi,

Don't know if this is going to work but we'll see.

Say hello to Dexter.
He's a baby hedgehog, born on December 1. 2014, very sweet and no trouble at all. He just wants to eat, sleep and run around to play, mostly at night. He eats cat food and uses a small litterbox. It's like having a cat but without all the hair.

Sorry, the picture came out so very big.

Hugs.
Barbra.

I'm a little wounded, but I am not slain; I will lay me down for to bleed awhile. Then I will rise and fight with you again.
J. Dryden

Edited barbra (Feb. 9, 2015 11:34:21)

#7 Feb. 9, 2015 11:18:25

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Yes, the photo came through - what a cute little guy!

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

#8 Oct. 14, 2019 16:15:45

Turquoise

The world is very strange. I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last year after a new primary care doctor went the extra mile in ordering tests and eventually referred me to a rheumatologist, who diagnosed Graves. The key symptom was weight loss. Well, last week I took one of my cats to the vet, who remarked that she had lost a couple of pounds since her previous visit. She's not a large cat to begin with, so this was something he wanted to investigate. He ordered lab tests and today called me to say she has hyperthyroidism! Of course it's not “contagious,” and it's not as if I passed it to her, but I think it's such a bizarre coincidence. When the vet started talking about treatment and mentioned RAI, it was “been there, done that.” We're going to start with medication and see how that goes. She's 15 years old, and I don't want to put her through anything too traumatic at that age. Fortunately we live in a large metropolitan area with many specialty vets, and there's also a veterinary medical school at a university less than an hour away. If she does need anything that my regular vet can't offer, there are resources.

#9 Oct. 14, 2019 17:50:38

Kimberly
Online Facilitator

Interestingly, I *just* ran across an article about a kitty up for adoption who is on methimazole for hyperthyroidism. It said she gets the meds through the ear! My understanding is that this is actually a fairly common complaint with cats, while dogs are more likely to be hypOthyroid.

Kimberly
GDATF Forum Facilitator

– Dream Theater

• Root
  • » GDATF
  • » Just for Fun - The "Off Topic" Thread! [RSS Feed]

Board footer

Moderator control

Questions? Problems? Please contact us at [email protected] or 877-643-3123.

GDATF on Facebook

Support the GDATF and become a member today!

© 2019 Graves' Disease & Thyroid Foundation